Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 106



Friend. A word that goes way beyond its six letters.

I love my friends and appreciate each and everyone of them. I am a firm believer that people are in my life at certain times for a reason. It is as if they are there when I need them to. I may be really good friends with a person I work with, but once I left the job, our friendship dwindled. It is not because the other person is terrible or a bad friend, it is because we were meant to be close during that specific time period. Does that make sense? It does up in my silly head.

People go off to university. People follow their careers and move out of state. People argue  People go on awesome worldly adventures.  People do other things not mentioned. People lose touch. But all it takes is one message or conversation to bring together people who have lost communication, whether it was on accident or on purpose.

I did not realize how happy I am to have received one of those messages this weekend. A friend of mine who is away at university visited her family and we had the chance to get coffee. Catching up over coffee with Cheryl was full of laugher (as any conversation with her usually is) and inspiring. I always try to surround myself with successful and/or goal-orientated people because I feel when I am around them, I aspire to emulate them.

Cheryl is no exception. She is training to run a marathon to raise money for The Lukemia & Lymphoma Society. Her donation page can be found by clicking here and I am sure she and The L&L Society would greatly appreciate it. So maybe skip out on your $5 latte and donate it to a super cause.

She is very inspiring to me because she is so tenacious in her training. Her constant positivity, focus and determination (in not just this marathon, but everything she does) is something I find myself to be envious of. Hearing of Cheryl's training stories and the people who are helping her to achieve her goals is very uplifting. As a Public and Non-Profit Administration major, I know she will create the next big organization to help the world. And hopefully, she will invite me along to snap a couple photographs.

Today's photograph is brought to you from our dinner tonight. We went to my favorite sushi place. We americanized the sushi by getting it tempura'ed. And it was fantastic. After dinner, we walked around the city and had another coffee together before she goes back to university. Such a great person I am happy to have back in my life.

Other than dancing, she loves old school-looking photographs, so this one is for you Cheryl.

Kimmik

No comments:

Post a Comment