Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 52


I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck.  -Emma Goldman

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about my future and like Motion City Soundtrack said, "the future freaks me out." As with a lot of college students, planning one's future can be stressful and full of doubts. I, unfortunately, have all of the above.

While there are several different career paths I can see myself taking, I must only choose one. But how do I know which is the right one? I am planning on going to school for Physical Therapy and I feel comforted by that decision. Though, I often toy with the idea of going to medical school for some sort of sport medicine, focusing on photography or even being a rodeo clown. Scratch the latter. No rodeo clown for me. But at least the thought of it put a smile on my face (and hopefully yours too).

I am trying not to drive myself crazy and think about my options or live in an unrealistic world where I think my grades will get me into medical school. While my grades are not the worst, they are not the best, and I do not think they are "medical school competitive" type of grades. But who knows, maybe they will get better or I will not have to work two jobs while going to school full-time. We shall see what the future holds -- until then, I am just along for the ride.

Today's quote helps me to ponder my future career, with the help of my lovely mother. I always have had these big dreams about buying my mother nice things when I have the appropriate income. While driving, a really nice and shiny Cadillac SUV passed us and I said, "Mom, when I'm a doctor, I will buy you a car like that." 

"Why do I need a car like that? I don't want a Cadillac Kimber, use your money for something else. I don't need anything, I have everything I already want," my mother responded.

My mom, grew up in a small village in the Philippines and I, spent most of my childhood in the consumer-driven United States. Though I do not mean to, sometimes I get caught up in material things. We all do it, willingly or not. I believe it is just a habit of nature. 

I always do my best to appreciate the little things in life, like the flower in the above photograph and the quote below it. It reminds me of today's talk with my mother. Mommy's are so wise! And it makes me appreciate my mother that much more and what she has taught me over the years. I love my mommy.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see,
Que Sera, Sera 
-Dorris Day

Great words to live by.

Kimmik



2 comments:

  1. Loved your picture and I read Que Sera, Sera before, one of my favorites!
    Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come...
    The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting too much about the future.
    Study the past(it is important), if you would divine the future.
    The future is only a consequence of today, you are building it right now!..I no longer worry about it..
    I spent most of my teenage years worrying about it and not doing anything.
    The future is now, and it is too uncertain to worry too much about it..and I do believe you have a great one ahead of you!

    Ketrin.

    ReplyDelete