Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 13


Today is Friday, the 13th. But why is this day considered to be so unlucky?

National Geographic has the answer.

"Thomas Fernsler, an associate policy scientist in the Mathematics and Science Education Resource Center at the University of Delaware in Newark, said the number 13 suffers because of its position after 12.

According to Fernsler, numerologists consider 12 a "complete" number. There are 12 months in a year, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 labors of Hercules, 12 tribes of Israel, and 12 apostles of Jesus.

In exceeding 12 by 1, Fernsler said 13's association with bad luck "has to do with just being a little beyond completeness. The number becomes restless or squirmy...
Many triskaidekaphobes, as those who fear the unlucky integer are known, point to the ill-fated mission to the moon, Apollo 13.


As for Friday, it is well known among Christians as the day Jesus was crucified. Some biblical scholars believe Eve tempted Adam with the forbidden fruit on Friday. Perhaps most significant is a belief that Abel was slain by Cain on Friday the 13th."


I thought that was a pretty interesting article. I love National Geographic. If I could have any job in the entire world, it would be a National Geographic photographer.
A very wise man once said "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live," Albus Dumbledore/JK Rowling.

But I can still dream a little =)

I cannot say that I believe in the "Friday the 13th" superstition nor did anything "unlucky" happen to me today. Though, I did wake up with a wicked headache...but that is because of the constant weather changes in Michigan. 

Today's photograph has nothing to do with dreaming or Friday the 13th. I just thought I would try something different because the flowers and trees are finally starting to bloom. 
Hurray for photosynthesis!

Kimmik



No comments:

Post a Comment