Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 20


Today's photograph comes from the grill of my lovely Ford Focus. I wanted to do something related to my car before I left on my weekend road trip to our nation's capital, Washington D.C.


The last time I visited D.C. was on my eighth grade field trip in '02 or '03. Looking back on that trip, my 13 year-old self used the journey as more of a social experience then an educational one. Which I think I can safely assume that in this case, most teenagers would.  I did not take the time to appreciate neither the history nor beauty that the Capitol City holds.


I believe I have done my fair share of international traveling and was fortunate to visit the capitol cities of Australia, Germany, Italy, Japan and the Philippines. It was while visiting Berlin in '08 that I realized that I had more appreciation for the Reichstag than the White House. Maybe it is not more appreciation, but definitely more of an interest. I believe it is because traveling to a new place is exciting and intriguing. 


But what I failed to realize when experiencing/dreaming about foreign countries is that traveling around your own country can be exciting and intriguing as well.


Being 22 and having been a resident of the U.S. for the majority of my life, the number of countries I have traveled to is higher than the number of states I have visited. And I would really like to change that.


Now, I know that Washington D.C. is not a state, but there is no better place to start my exploration of the U.S. Fortunately, I will not be traveling alone; I will have two great friends as my co-pilots on our 530 mile trip to D.C.




I spent the day with my mechanic, making sure all is well with my car, also I cleaned and washed it. It's pretty.


We are departing less than three hours from this post, the only thing left to do is pack clothes and food. Naturally, my camera bag has been ready to go for hours. Expect some D.C. related photographs tomorrow and Sunday.


See you on the east coast,


Kimmik

No comments:

Post a Comment